A line from the Cowboy Junkies’ song, “Sun Comes Up, It’s Tuesday Morning”, “Telephone’s ringing, but I don’t answer it ’cause everybody knows that good news always sleeps till noon”, went through my head on this cold Tuesday morning. when my own telephone started ringing, It was shortly before 6:00 a.m., and I was lingering in bed, feeling guilty for not getting up earlier to work out before having to get ready for work and get my daughters up for school. Thankfully, upon answering the telephone, I learned that some good news doesn’t sleep in-my daughters’ school was on a two-hour delay, thanks to another visit by Mother Nature and Louisville’s perpetual state of being paralyzed by wintry weather.
Suddenly, my guilt melted away, as I realized that I now had time to get in an hour-long workout before beginning my day, and I knew that my girls would be thrilled to sleep an extra two hours. Little did I know that the telephone would bring even more good news around 7:30 a.m. The snow continued to fall, and the icy streets became even slicker. So, the next telephone call was one announcing that school had now been canceled, and an unexpected snow day was upon us, as was the opportunity to do at least one positive thing for myself and for a few other people.
Here’s a glimpse of what I did to make the most of this snow day:
- In addition to exercising, I indulged in healthy foods, like pomegranate arils and Greek yogurt, and refreshing beverages, like hot ginger tea.
- I took advantage of the time before my daughters woke up to engage in two activities that I generally do not get to do until evening. I enjoyed a chat with my special friend, who did not have a snow day, and I was able to spend some time blogging. Both left me in a good mood.
- I made the girls their favorite cinnamon rolls, the kind normally reserved for the weekend, for breakfast (Rest assured that I didn’t make them from scratch, so, no children were harmed in the making of this fun snow day).
- I let the girls plan out their free day, and we had fun playing a board game in the morning before lunching at Panera (Side note: the autumn squash soup is beyond delicious!), and getting their hair cut.
- The girls and I even did something kind for the wonderful hair stylist who takes care of all three of us, when we surprised her with a gift card to one of her favorite local coffee shops.
While the snow may have canceled school, it did not cancel the chance to make today brighter and warmer.
Just one thing each day . . .
Categories: Just One Thing Each Day
Today was kayos and mayhem.Still taking a licking and keep on ticking. Just one thing each day.
Ed, I hope that you can enjoy a cozy and peaceful evening to regroup after today and to re-energize for tomorrow!
How fun! Also, homemade cinnamon rolls?! Those are the best! You are such a wonderful mom ❤
Christina, they were “homemade” courtesy of Pillsbury:) Thanks for the sweet words!
Still so yummy!!! You’re welcome =)
It seems as if you had a great day, even snow bound as it was.
Elizabeth, it was a good day indeed, as is any day spent with my girls:)