If April showers bring May flowers, then, May flowers bring June. . .rainbows. Okay, it doesn’t rhyme, but it doesn’t have to, because there is no need for conformity. Welcome to Pride Month!
Some of my family members and friends are part of the LGBTQ+ community, and I am so proud of them, not just this month, but every month. Each one of them has weathered their respective storms to find their rainbows, and along the way, they also have been rainbows in my life. I have learned a number of life lessons from them over the years, which can be summed up as:
- Be an informed voter, and vote as if your life and the lives of your loved ones depend on it, because it does.
- Speak up for your rights and the rights of others, even if it seems like nobody is listening.
- Live an authentic, unapologetic life, no matter what rules and expectations others have for you.
- Love whomever you choose to love, because love is love.
- Ask for help, and keep asking until you receive it.
- Invest your time, money, and resources in causes you believe in that serve the greater good of all.
- Embrace being inclusive, because everyone wants to feel like they belong and are accepted.
- Be proud of yourself, because you are more than enough as is.
These are only some of the lessons I have learned from my family and friends, and they have been far more profound than this simple summary. Hopefully, you get the gist.
Despite it being the 21st century, the LGBTQ+ community continues to face discrimination, judgment, and threats of violence. Now, more than ever, this is the time to raise awareness of the issues that members of the LGBTQ+ community face and to support measures to safeguard their rights.
That’s another story. . .
Categories: That's Another Story